Town of Plattekill, NY

PO Box 45
1915 Route 44-55
Modena, New York 12548
(845) 883-7331


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a handicap parking permit?

You must have a handicap parking permit to park in the designated handicap parking areas throughout New York State. Most other states also recognize this permit. Handicap parking permits are only issued to severely disabled individuals and the permit is only to be used by the person. To be eligible, the applicant must have medical certification from a Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) stating that he/she is permanently or temporarily disabled and describing the disability and the mobility limitations of the applicant. Town residents can get an application for a handicap parking permit at the Town Clerk’s Office.

Where can I get a Marriage License?

Applications are available at the Town Clerk’s office.

Where can I get a New York State Hunting or Fishing License?

The Town Clerk is authorized to issue NYS hunting and fishing licenses. They can be obtained during regular office hours or by appointment. The application forms can be downloaded from the Department of Environmental Conservation’s Web site,

What is the “Official Newspaper” of the Town of Plattekill?

The “Official Newspaper” is designated annually. Currently, it is the Southern Ulster Times. All Town of Plattekill legal notices appear in the Southern Ulster Times.

Who is the Local Registrar of Vital Statistics (birth, death, marriage)?

The Town Clerk serves as the Registrar of Vital Statistics on behalf of the New York State Department of Health. Records of all births and deaths that occur within the town boundaries are stored in the Town Clerk’s Office. Marriage licenses that are issued in the town are also store in the Town Clerk’s Office. **Important note** – The Town Clerk does not have birth or death records for town residents who were born or who died outside of the boundaries of the Town. For example, if a resident was born in or died in a hospital in Poughkeepsie, the birth or death certificates would be in the Poughkeepsie Town Clerk’s office.

How do I request a genealogy search?

The Town Clerk will search the Town records for genealogy purposes if you submit some basic information. There may be a nominal charge to cover the time and expenses for this search. The search will be limited to Town of Plattekill records only. In addition, the Town Historian may be able to offer helpful suggestions for your search. For a complete search of the State Vital Records, contact the New York State Department of Health or the New York State Archives.

What is a Freedom of Information Law Request (FOIL) and how is one filed?

The Town Clerk is also the Records Management Officer for the Town and received all FOIL requests. New York State defines a “record” as “any information kept, held, filed, produced, or reproduced by, with, or for any agency.” The term agency does not include the Courts. Most information is available unless it would be determined to result in an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy or it would impair legal negotiations, security, or law enforcement proceedings. A compete listing of the exempted material can be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office.

If you didn’t find the answer to your question here, please call Barbara or April at (845) 883-7331 and they will do their best to answer your question.